Chief Moses Ogodoali Nomeh who is from Ivo LGA in Ebonyi State is a Barrister at Law from the Nigerian Law
Before his appointment as a commissioner, he practised law at Marcus Babaoye Chambers, Igbosere Road in
Lagos state (2005 - 2006) and then got elected in 2007 to the Ebonyi State House of Assembly.
Hon. Orji who is married loves reading, teaching and researching fields of interest.
Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Abakaliki ,which has Hon. Barr. Orji Uchenna Orji as the
Honourable Commissioner, is saddled with the responsibility of the formulation and implementation of
agricultural policies and programmes of the state.
- Raising the farmers’ purchasing power by increasing their real income and improving the quality of life and living standard of the farmers and rural dwellers.
- Increase in food production to ensure attainment of a level of food security that will generate availability and affordability of food commodities to the populace.
- Creation of more agricultural and rural employment opportunities particularly for youths and rural dwellers.
- Reduction in farm drudgery by promoting and supporting appropriate farm mechanization technology.
- Encouraging the participation of youth and NGO¬s in agricultural activities through training and financial support.
- Production of agricultural raw materials to reduce the establishment/Expansion of agro-processing and agro-based industries.
- Empowerment of women folk in agricultural ventures through gender sensitive focal programmes.
- Provision of processing and storage facilities to increase shelf-life of agricultural produce and attract higher income to farmers, processors and marketers.
- Creation of a macro-environment that is conducive for the stimulation of greater private sector investment in agriculture and rural development.
- Promotion of increased application of modern/improved technology and management to agricultural production, processing, storage and distribution, so that agriculture can be more responsive to the demands of other sectors of the state economy.
- Provision of irrigation facilities to ensure all season agricultural production in Ebonyi State.
- Promotion of increased participation of farmers in processing export of agricultural produce.
- Revitalization of agricultural extension system to make it more responsive to the needs of our agricultural system and agro-ecological environment.
- Provision of rural infrastructures such as roads, electricity and water supply thereby creating an enabling environment for rural participation in agriculture in order to reduce rural urban migration.
- Preservation of the existing bio-diversity of different crop; improving the availability of and accessibility to farm inputs by the farmers at fair prices in a competitive market.
- Development and optimum utilization of human resources for the agricultural sector of the states’ economy, particularly at sub-professional levels.
- Protection and improvement of agricultural and water resources and preservation of the environment for optimal and sustainable agricultural production.
However, the ministry performs the underlisted functions as her mandate:
- Promotion of crop production, processing, preservation, packaging, storage and marketing.
- Inspection, grading and quality control of scheduled agricultural produce.
- Licensing of produce merchants.
- Promotion of animal production, health and husbandry.
- Control of animal movement and trans-boundary diseases.
- Promotion of fisheries development and regulation/control of artisanal fisheries activities.
- Procurement/production and distribution of agricultural inputs including fertilizers, agro-chemicals and improved seeds and seedlings.
- Carrying on-farm adaptive research and provision of extension services.
- Sourcing and provision of credit and loan facilities to formers, fisher folk and agro-processors.
- Provision of training facilities at sub-professional level.
- Provision of farm mechanization support to farmers.
- Development and maintenance of irrigation schemes and water control structures.
- Development of agro-industries on PPP basis and generally promoting the development of agro-industries.
- Relating and liaising with other States and Federal Government as well as other development partners in all matters relating to agriculture, food and fiber production.
The ministry has eight (8) Departments, six (6) Units and five (5) Parastatals which help in carrying out the functions.